Government of Ontario Elevator Owner Education Webinar – Don’t Miss it!Rolly Mechler
A few years back elevators were front page news in most Ontario newspapers (for all the wrong reasons) and this led to MPP Han Don introducing The Reliable Elevator Act in March of 2017. Our blog The Reliable Elevators Act – How This Affects YOU recounts that time. While the proposed act was never passed, it did lead to the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA), Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS) and the Ministry of Municipal Affairs (MMA) engaging Retired Superior Court Justice Douglas Cunningham to author an independent study. The ensuing Cunningham Report had a number of recommendations, and in response the MGCS created a webinar to provide education and awareness services for elevators in multi-storey residential buildings. While the Cunningham Report and this webinar were initiated by issues with elevators in residential buildings, having reviewed the content, we feel it is extremely valuable to any elevator owner in the province (including all other commercial elevator owners).
MGCS states that “The webinar will provide basic information on the following areas:”
- Information on key roles and responsibilities in the Ontario elevator industry
- Legal and safety requirements relating to the maintenance of an elevator
- Obligations of elevator owners and elevator service providers
- TSSA and MGCS statutory and regulatory roles
- Understanding an elevator maintenance contract
- Factors that impact the price of a contract
- Top questions to ask an elevator contractor before signing a contract
- Key elevator concepts and determining whether those concepts should be covered as part of a basic contract
- Day-to-day elevator maintenance
- Tasks that must be done by a licenced mechanic and those that an owner can do
- Risk mitigation
- COVID-19 precautions
Here is information directly from MGCS. We encourage you to send to everyone in your organization who has responsibility over your elevators.
All owners of elevators in residential buildings in Ontario are invited to participate in the MGCS “Elevator Owner Education Webinar” on May 13th, 2021 at 10 a.m. to noon by clicking here.
The webinar will be live captioned. Anyone requiring an alternative format of the presentation in advance of the webinar, or has any accessibility request related to accessing the content of the webinar, is asked to contact MGCS:
Diana Bosnjak – Senior Policy Advisor, Ministry of Government & Consumer Services
Diana is available for any webinar-related questions or you may send a message to PublicSafetyandOperationsPolicyBranch@ontario.ca.
Sales & Marketing Manager
Rolly has been in the elevator industry for nearly 20 years in both a sales role and running an Operations Department. He works hard to help implement methods to provide superior service to Elevator One clients.